With legislation changing almost daily, AJ Barber ensure they are always up to date on the latest regulations affecting the approval process. There are numerous local, state and federal government requirements and industry standards that must be met before building or development can commence.

Building approvals are required for all new buildings and for a fitout within an existing building, if there is a change of use or extensive alterations to the floor plan. 

Complying development is a combined planning and construction approval for straightforward development that can be determined through a fast-track assessment by a council or an accredited certifier. Approvals under the fast-track complying development pathway can be issued in as little as 20 days.  AJ Barber can assist with obtaining the necessary documentation that outlines whether your project can be completed as Complying Development.

Development Approval (DA) – is a formal request for consent to execute proposed development if the works cannot be completed as Complying Development. The DA authorises assessable development to take place. Approval is issued by the local government authority – usually with a list of conditions that must be adhered to. This is to ensure the development conforms with municipal council’s Local Environmental Plans (LEPs).  A LEP is prepared and used by the council to supervise the ways in which land and development is undertaken in the local area. To support the LEP, council also makes Development Control Plans (DCPs).  Development Control Plans contain more detailed controls with regards to specific development types and locations. They provide additional guidance and controls about different types of development and land uses.

Some of the main conditions that affect healthcare development include approved use within the particular zone of the property, parking and traffic management, design for access and mobility, and waste management.

A construction certificate is the next layer, after the DA process, of approvals, documentation and cross checks that is carried out either by council or a private certifier, who will then go onto grant you permission to start with the actual construction of your project. The requirements for obtaining a CC will vary depending on each local council’s guidelines and also the type and size of each individual project.

AJ Barber will research which approval path can be taken and liaise directly with your local council or appointed private certifier on your behalf. It takes the confusion out of obtaining approvals and ultimately saves you both time and money (and heartache)!